Friday, March 8, 2013

Researching Flattery

A few months ago, Mordicai Knode wrote a flattering overview of the Radovan & Jeggare novels at tor.com. One line that stuck out for me was, "Part witty banter and part brothers-in-arms, Varian and Radovan read like a cross between Gilmore Girls and Reservoir Dogs, smack dab in the middle of a sword and sorcery world."

Reservoir Dogs I knew and adored, but I'd only heard good things about Gilmore GirlsWhen I saw the first season DVD set was on sale, I snapped it up and watched the first episode a few nights ago.

Now I'm doubly flattered by the comparison and delighted to discover this gem of a TV series, which reminds me in the best possible way of Buffy the Vampire Slayer without the supernatural element. 

I love finding something like this when the complete series has become affordable. I sense a binge coming on in April once deadlines relax their grip on my life.

So thanks twice, Mordicai.

3 comments:

  1. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of us, one of us!

    (Hint: Skip the last season; the showrunners were pushed off & it becomes a melodrama, no good, no good.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice. I have finally reached that level of self-control that I can and will skip that last season.

    Now if I can just bring myself to take Community off the DVR and preserve my memories of the three wonderful seasons.

    ReplyDelete